An Oromocto man has been charged in connection with a firearms incident that triggered an Alert Ready in Sussex on Remembrance Day.
Jacob St Peters, 19, appeared in Saint John Provincial Court on Tuesday, where he was charged with several offences.
They include two counts of intentionally firing a gun while being reckless as to the life or safety of another person, and using a prohibited weapon without reasonable precautions for the safety of others.
He was also charged with possessing a prohibited weapon without a licence, possessing a weapon for a dangerous purpose, pointing a firearm, and possessing a firearm while knowing its serial number had been tampered with.
All charges stem from an incident in the early morning hours of Remembrance Day, when Sussex RCMP got a report that shots were fired near a business on Main Street in Sussex.
Residents were asked to stay inside with their doors locked, said RCMP Cpl. Hans Ouellette at the time.
Police then issued an Alert Ready message for a man who is now being identified as the 19-year-old St Peters.
In a news release issued Tuesday, Mounties said he was found behind a business on Main Street, and arrested him without further incident.
Police said one person sustained serious but non life-threatening injuries as a result of the incident.
Following Tuesday’s appearance, he returned on Wednesday for a bail hearing.
“Police would like to thank the public for their cooperation during this incident,” said Sussex RCMP Sgt. Luc Samson.
The investigation is ongoing.
Any information that may help further the investigation can be forwarded to the Sussex RCMP.