Kitchen fire damages Moncton rental home, displaces five people

A kitchen fire that resulted in smoke or water damage in other areas has displaced five people living at a rental home in Moncton.

The Canadian Red Cross said the call came in around 3 p.m. Wednesday to a one-and-a-half-storey house on Derby Street.

No injuries were reported, said Red Cross spokesperson Dan Bedell.

“Their landlord hopes to secure alternate accommodations by the weekend,” he said.

As they wait for alternative accommodations, Bedell said Red Cross volunteers have arranged emergency lodging and meals for all five.

It isn’t known yet how exactly the kitchen fire began.