The New Brunswick RCMP said an American man accused of luring a youth under the age of 16 in Moncton has been charged with several more offences.
Elan Charles Brest, 24, of New Hampshire, appeared in Moncton Provincial Court on Monday for a set bail hearing after a judge last week charged him with sexual assault, sexual interference, sexual exploitation, child luring and making child pornography.
He now faces two separate counts for each offense, police said Thursday.
The charges stem from a report of a potential child luring incident on July 11 at a hotel on Mountain Road, where Codiac RCMP discovered Brest with a youth under the age of 16. He was arrested at the scene.
A search of his hotel room on July 13 resulted in police seizing several items, including “sexual paraphernalia.”
“Through a subsequent investigation, police determined that the man had been communicating with the youth online prior to coming to Canada and meeting the youth,” said Codiac RCMP Sgt. Sylvette Hebert in a previous news release.
“Parents are encouraged to talk to their children and be aware of the sites they visit online. There are many resources available to parents to help them have conversations with their children about staying safe online.”
Police say Brest is being remanded into police custody and will return to court on Aug. 8.