Proposed amendments to ending renovictions

Proposed amendments to New Brunswick’s Residential Tenancies Act would strengthen and streamline regulations on renting, including a possible end to renovictions, officials announced on Friday.

The province says the amendments, tabled in the legislature last week, include further defining the terms of ending a tenancy to include a minimum of three months for a change of use of the unit and requiring landlords to apply to end a tenancy for renovations.

“Through our ongoing evaluation of the rental market and the effectiveness of our current regulations, we have identified necessary amendments to streamline and strengthen regulations,” said Jill Green, the minister responsible for housing.

“We will continue to monitor the effectiveness of our measures and introduce more if required.”

Officials say the proposed changes would require landlords to seek permission from the Residential Tenancy Tribunal to end a tenancy. They would also need necessary permits and demonstrate that renovations can only be completed if the unit is vacant.

Government says tenancies that are terminated due to a relative moving into the unit or because the unit is being used for non-residential purposes will require the change of occupancy or change in use to be for a minimum of three months.

Other changes being proposed include:

  • Creating a new offence for failure to comply with this regulation
  • Strengthening the rules for fixed-term leases so that the process for implementing a rent increase is consistent across all tenancies
  • Improving the process for the disposal of abandoned belongings
  • Adding various offence provisions to ensure compliance with the act

“Our government is working hard to find the right solutions for our province, and I thank those who have shared their experiences with us,” said Green.

“One of our top priorities is building vibrant and sustainable communities throughout New Brunswick, and we are listening.”

Tenants and landlords with questions or concerns can email or call 1-888-762-8600.

%d bloggers like this: